Sunday, March 06, 2016

An Open Letter to Kanhaiya

Dear Kanhaiya,

I am writing this letter to you as an honest taxpayer of this country who has been giving almost a third of his annual hard-earned income to fund the fellowship stipend that you receive. I am sure that this stipend goes a long way in funding your education since I hear that your family income is mere Rs 4,000-5,000 per month as against a stipend of more than Rs 20,000 per month that you receive.

You clearly have borne the brunt of poverty and have seen the hardships of your family – I have seen your paralyzed father and working mother; I pray for their good health and long life. I would have been amongst the happiest if you were using this stipend for engaging in studies and research instead of politics.

I understand that you are in your late 20’s or early 30’s (most people are honestly earning their bread and paying taxes by this age) and are studying for a PhD at JNU. I don’t know what your specialization is but from an outside perspective, it does seem that politics and not studies is your main occupation. I would really like my hard-earned tax money to fund a deserving student who devotes his time in study and research to contribute to the society.

I do not know if you raised any anti-national slogans and whether sedition charge is misplaced (anyway, the matter is sub-judice and better left at that without any innuendoes). However, I do believe that as the head of the student body, you should have stopped people from raising such slogans at an event where you were present. You should have registered a police FIR against such hooligans because you claim to love this nation and the freedom (of speech or otherwise) that it bestows as much as anyone else.

I know that you mentioned Rohith Vemula as your icon; I see Rohith’s sacrifice as a lesson for our nation that every educational institute needs to take care of its students to prevent such cases. It also reminds us that politics and studies should be kept apart.

You mentioned that you are with the armed jawans and policemen who are just like you; I am not sure if I see it in your actions or support. I see our men sacrificing their lives against Naxals who engage in bloodshed in the jungles of Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh every day. I have experienced the havoc that such Naxals create in the name of Maoism since I grew up in those very areas of Jharkhand.

You are clearly a gifted orator who knows how to use punches and connect with the audience; you use your skills in word craft and theatre to great hilt. This very ability took you to the post of JNU President and I would urge you to put this great skill to good use and negotiate with the Naxals to convince them to stop bloodshed. I am sure that if you are able to save the lives of our armed men and stop this violence, even the current government (with whom you differ ideologically and I respect that) would praise you.

Lastly, I would urge you to rethink whether you are a politician or a student and then take the path that you choose and shed off the mask.

Regards,

A tax payer.

No comments: